Are you enrolled to vote?

Elections - vote here sign

To vote in the 2013 Local Elections, you need to be enrolled on the electoral roll.

Voting papers are mailed out to people who have enrolled and need to be filled in, and mailed back by 12 noon on Saturday 12 October. Everyone who was correctly enrolled by Friday 16 August 2013 will get their voting papers for the 2013 local elections sent to them in the mail.

If you enrol after August 16, and before October 12, you can still vote, but you will have to request special voting papers from your electoral officer who sits in your council.

The elections are for city and district councils, regional councils and District Health Boards. In some parts of New Zealand, elections will also be held for local and community boards, licensing trusts and other organisations.

The elections are a chance to have a say in how your council will provide essential services such as water, wastewater, roads and cultural and community services. They happen every three years, so make sure you exercise your right to have a say in your community.

Information in other languages

Information is also available in a number of languages including Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Arabic, Hindi and Thai. Find out more at