Enrol now for 2013 local elections

Your Vote your Community - 2013 Logo

The Electoral Commission wants everyone who’s eligible enrolled to vote in this year’s local elections. Local elections give people the chance to have their say on who runs their local council and district health board, and who makes decisions on things like the local environment, rates, parking, rubbish, parks and health services.

In New Zealand the law says that you must be enrolled on the electoral roll.  You must enrol if you:

  • are 18 years or older
  • have lived in New Zealand for more than one year continuously at some time in your life, and
  • are a New Zealand citizen, or
  • are a permanent resident of New Zealand.

*  Cook Island Maori, Niueans and Tokelauans can enrol once they have lived in New Zealand continuously for 12 months.  They do not require permanent residency to be eligible to enrol and vote.

Enrolling by August 16 is the easiest way for you to have your say in the local elections. Everyone enrolled by Friday 16 August 2013 will be sent their voting papers by their local council electoral officer. Those enrolling after 16 August will need to cast a special vote, and will need to contact the electoral officer for their local council to obtain voting papers. Local elections are held by postal vote, so it’s particularly important that people are enrolled at the right address.

The Electoral Commission is sending out enrolment update packs in early July to all 3.1 million enrolled voters in the country.

  • Check that your details are correct. If you need to change anything fill in the form, then sign, date and return it straight away.
  • If you got a pack and it’s not addressed to anyone at your house, send it back.
  • If you didn’t get a pack, you’re not enrolled so you need to get onto it now.

It’s easy:

  • go online at elections.org.nz
  • freetext your name and address to 3676
  • call 0800 36 76 56
  • go to any PostShop.